The code, which will be made available as a package together with TURBOdesign-1 inverse design method, has a number of important unique features such as easy import of geometry from TURBOdesign-1, automatic mesh generation and a turbomachinery specific post processor.
The pre-processor has been designed in such a way as to ensure that within a matter of 5 minutes the mesh is generated and all boundary conditions are specified and the CFD computation is ready to run.
The post-processor output includes information on NPSH for pump applications and broadband noise for fan applications (to be made available from April 2006). Experimental validation of these models has shown that they provide a good qualitative measure of these quantities. Furthermore, the code allows for automatic characteristics computations (i.e. multi-point analysis) based on a user defined set of exit static pressures.
Another important feature of TURBOcfd is the solver, which is robust, accurate and computationally efficient. The solver has been developed at the University of Florence and the code has been extensively validated both at the university and in industry over a 15 year period. The computational efficiency of the code enables typical computations with fine meshes of the order of 350,000 nodes to be completed on a P4 3.0 GHz PC in a matter of 30 minutes.
The combination of fast problem definition in the pre-processor, fast and accurate CFD solver and turbomachinery specific postprocessor makes TURBOcfd a unique code for improving the productivity of designers involved in the design of pump and fan applications.
Benefits and Advantages of TURBOcfd
- A CFD code specifically developed for turbomachinery applications and well integrated with the TURBOdesign-1 design environment.
- Pre-Processor allows for very rapid mesh generation and boundary condition definition. Problem can be set up and ready to run within 5 minutes.
- Specific turbomachinery post processor allows for rapid visualisation as well as summary information on efficiency, head, flow rate and cavitation performance in pumps and broadband noise in fans (available in April 2006).
- Fast and accurate solver allowing accurate solutions to be obtained in about 30 min on P4 PC for 350,000 nodes mesh.
- Well validated CFD solver originally developed at Florence University with more than 70 peer-reviewed papers.