The competition, intended to provide undergraduate and graduate engineering students with a real-life engineering challenge, has been designed to provide exposure to the kinds of situations common in the professional environment. Primarily a design competition, the competition requires students to perform trade studies and make compromises to arrive at a design solution that will optimally meet the mission requirements while conforming to the configuration limitations.|
Teams fly their airplanes as part of the event. SAE Aero Design features three classes of competition, regular, advanced and micro.
Teams sponsored by Pointwise are
- The Flying Dutchmen from Union College in Schenectady, NY, entered in the Aero-East competition
- The Assailing Falcons from Vellore Institute of Technology in Tamil Nadu, India, entered in the Aero-West competition
- The UTA Formula SAE Racing team from the University of Texas at Arlington, entered in the Formula SAE competition
- The UTA Formula Hybrid team from the University of Texas at Arlington, entered in the Formula Hybrid competition
- The Bigg Bird team from Ohio Northern University in Ada, OH, entered in the Aero East competition.
SAE International is a global body of scientists, engineers, and practitioners that advances self-propelled vehicle and system knowledge in a neutral forum for the benefit of society.
Pointwise, Inc. is solving the top problem facing engineering analysts today – mesh generation for computational fluid dynamics (CFD). The company’s Pointwise software generates structured, unstructured and hybrid meshes; interfaces with CFD solvers, such as ANSYS FLUENT, STAR-CCM+, ANSYS CFX and OpenFOAM, as well as many neutral formats, such as CGNS; runs on Windows (Intel and AMD), Linux (Intel and AMD), Mac and Unix, and has scripting languages that can automate CFD meshing. Large manufacturing firms and research organizations worldwide rely on Pointwise as their complete CFD preprocessing solution.
More information about Pointwise is available at www.pointwise.com.Pointwise is a registered trademark and Pointwise Glyph and T-Rex are trademarks of Pointwise, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owner.